During the official period of Lic. Nativity Garza Leal and the state government of the Lic. Praxedis Balboa Gojon, in 1964, the Organic Law of the University was issued to confer to the local councils the faculty to submit to the Assembly the expenses' budgets and to modify the structure of the Board of Trustees, which was performed by instituting the Executive Board, which organized an intense campaign to collect funds. The powers of the board of trustees and its committee were extended by the 275 Decree in 1965. These funds allowed the construction of the University Unit of Tampico, the acquisition of equipment and the expansion of the center located in Ciudad Victoria, improving the development with the foundation of new schools, the increasing of the budget and the reorganization of the administration.
A strong student movement in 1967 finished with the promulgation of the 145 and 146 decrees. The laws were reformed providing the University with autonomy and instituting in it as in the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, a Board of Governors composed by eleven members with directive authority. The university was then integrated by ten colleges, six schools, five high schools, an institute and a department. It is currently governed by the Organic Statute approved in 1972 that recognizes as background the 33 and 34 decrees promulgated by the Governor Manuel A. Ravizé, by whom full autonomy to the university was conferred; recognizing as authorities to the Assembly, the Dean, the General Secretariat, Councils of Faculties or Schools, Directors, Heads of Department, Standing Board and Board of Trustees; the Assembly holds one of the most extensive directive authority, and the Dean holds the authority of direction, representation, administration and implementation. The Board of Government instituted by the 145 and 146 Decrees relinquished its duties as university authority on October 4th, 1967.
Bibliography: Zorrilla, J. F. (1993). Reseña histórica de la Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993 (Historical review of the Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993.) Ciudad Victoria: UAT-Institute of Historical Research.