On February 4th, 1956, the Governor Horacio Terán promulgated the 156 Decree, through which the Constitutive Law of the Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas was ordered, setting it "with legal personality, freely managed autonomous government and heritage ", at the same time university authorities were also recognized, like the General Assembly, the Local Councils in the schools, the Dean, Directors of Schools, Colleges, Institutes and Departments, the Tourist Board and the Court of Honor.
"However its dispersed nature," says the first article of the Organic Law of 1956, "The university will be a consistent and uniform institution, which shall maintain close relationship between its members and will seek to unify the university spirit for the better fulfilment of its purposes". This provision has endured as it is still in the third article of the Organic Statute now in use. In the explanatory memorandum of the 157 Decree, the legislator expressed the need to integrate " the more important educational institutions in the state" and "coordinate the efforts that are now being made in favor of the culture and professional education, so that the field towards progress in terms of higher education reamins opened, as it demands it now and as the state community will demand it in the decades to come"
With the laws of reference the legal foundation was established who were responsible for the service on the conservation, research and the dissemination of culture, science and technology, as well as the teaching of the professions and to the dissemination of knowledge and artistic expression among the general population. The Faculties of Law, Medicine and Dentistry and the School of Nursing and Obstetrics of Tampico were incorporated. The first Dean on a provisional basis was designated: Isaac Sánchez Garza, starting the academic courses on September 1st, 1956.
The school population increased continuously, doubling the number of graduates by the year 1963 in relation to the professionals who obtained the first titles issued by the university. Schools of Veterinary Medicine, Social Work and Nursing and Obstetrics in Victoria and the Commerce and Administration School and of Nursing and Obstetrics at Nuevo Laredo increased the annual inscriptions, integrating in 1964 a school population of 1,617 pupils, including those of the High School in Valle Hermoso and Ciudad Mante.
On November 7, 1962 the Governor Norberto Treviño Zapata promulgated the 209 Decree, by which the State Government donated to the University the Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History that was created in 1957. At the end of the year 1964, 5 faculties, 5 schools and 2 High Schools were functioning and were scattered in Tampico, Ciudad Victoria, Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros and Ciudad Mante. By the end of 1964, 171 professionals had already been entitled in the different schools and faculties of the university.
Bibliography: Zorrilla, J. F. (1993). Reseña histórica de la Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993 (Historical review of the Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993.) Ciudad Victoria: UAT-Institute of Historical Research.