The increase of the population and affirmed political stability in the country since the year 1920 made it clear the need to meet higher education in Tamaulipas, because during the revolutionary cycle the literary institutes of Matamoros and Ciudad Victoria ceased operations. In 1929 the first school of nursing was established in the Port of Tampico and the Faculties of Law and Medicine were founded and after that the Faculty of Dentistry was also established, these schools were administered by a local civil association that was called "Professional Education of Tampico", formally constituting the foundation of the University of Tamaulipas on October 30th, 1950, by Dr. Alfredo E. Gochicoa, Artemio Villafaña, Lic. Nativity Garza Leal, Lic. Francisco T. Villarreal, Professor Tirso Saldívar, Dr. Miguel Asomoza Arronte and Professor Julián Terán.
Through the Decree number 320 issued by the state legislature and promulgated on November 14th, 1950 by Lic. Juan Guerrero Villarreal, who was in charge of the Office of the Executive of the State of Tamaulipas, these were declared official schools, stated that "the schools should be strictly in accordance with the academic plans of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico".
The 440 Decree promulgated on April 2nd 1951 provided the establishment of a "Board of Trustees Pro Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas," setting it as a decentralized public organism, subject to guidelines established by the "Secretaría de Educación Pública and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico". The Board of Trustees should be integrated with representatives of professional associations, service clubs and the government, which shall be allowed to form its own regulation. The Board of Trustees established by this law did not operate.
By Decree number 73 promulgated in 1955 by the principal officer of government in functions of the General Secretary, Lic. Porfirio Flores Garza, the Dentistry School was declared as an official school of the State, but this school suspended its activities and it was until 1970 when the Assembly agreeded the final University Foundation of this Faculty.
Bibliography: Zorrilla, J. F. (1993). Reseña histórica de la Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993 (Historical review of the Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas 1956-1993.) Ciudad Victoria: UAT-Institute of Historical Research.